Minimum visual intrusion has always been one of the pinnacle of door closer design. That is what lead to birth of concealed door closer. However, there are a few things you should note before making the decision.
Why Hotel Owners Gave Up Concealed Door Closer?
A hotel project near the seashore in Okinawa, Japan tells the story. Designers had chosen concealed door closer for the obvious purpose for aesthetics purpose. After fitting some doors, however, hotel owner started to look for alternative for concealed door closer because of:
- Extra machining costs on the door frame: The concealed door closer needs to mortise into the frame, causing extra costs for machining.
- Non-Weather Resistant: The seashore air and humidity would make the closer rust much faster.
- Expensive Maintenance & Replacement: labor cost for the laborious door closer adjustment and maintenance.
The interesting thing about concealed door closer is that you can still see the overhead arms every time the door opens and closes. Visibility is most times inevitable for commercial door closer.
What factors affect your costs? Cost Breakdown Tells
The overall cost for the hotel owners includes:
- Purchase costs of hardware in advance
- Installation Cost on site
- Maintenance & Replacement Cost in the future
To manage long-term cost, you need to consider not only the purchase cost, but installation and maintenance as well. For commercial door closer, meticulous calculation of cost is especially crucial for cost-saving purpose.
In a word, Concealed Door Closer Redefined
Waterson Self-closing hinge was favored by the hotel owner for:
- Fast Installation: Install hinges and closers at one time
- Maintenance Free: Reduce replacement
- Rust Resistant: stainless steel against all corrosive agents.
- Aesthetics: functions of door closer are all condensed in a little hinge
This is indeed a new type of “concealed door closer”- the powerful door closer is now concealed and hidden in the little hinges.
Most commercial self-closing hinges still adopt either spring or hydraulic damper for speed control. […]
6 most valuable things distributors want to know. Question 1 - Do you currently have any distributors in the United States? At the moment, we only have distributors in DCI [...]
Waterson Soft Closing Hinges Since the AIA in 2018, there has been an increased interest in Waterson hinges for many different projects. We have been inundated with inquiries by distributors in numerous states [...]