Top 3 challenges – feedback from our valued clients.
After the Waterson hinge installation and adjustment, are there still some problems with auto-closing?
- My door is super light. Why the spring setting doesn’t match your instructions? Example: Only 30 kg light door needs spring settings ups to number 7, which is maximum.
- Help! My door is not closing at the small opening (< 30°).
- I bought and set up the hinge set with hydraulic buffer hinge. But, my door keeps slamming.
If you encounter similar challenges during the installation, it’s time to return to factory settings first so that we could find out what happened.
What could be the reasons for these challenges?
1. Alignment problem: Comparing to regular hinges or spring hinges, a self-closing hinge requires higher level for 3 hinge alignment. Take Waterson self-closing hinge for example, the barrel is the source of power. If the barrels are not aligned in a line, the level of self-closing power would jeopardize.
2. Wrong adjustment for a new hardware for the installer:
Waterson hinge has 4 kinds of features.
- Closing force adjustment
- Pure mechanical speed adjustment
- Hydraulic damper adjustment
- Hold-open feature adjustment
New installer sometimes doesn’t know the exact difference so that they can’t set up a perfect setting.
How to release self-closing door hinges to reset to factory setting?
Before we start to check what caused the problem, please reset Waterson hinges to out of box setting to avoid any interference with closing functions.
7 Steps with 3mm and 5mm hex wrenches will bring the self-closing hinge to become a neutral hinge.
√ Find Hinge with closing force adjuster with numbers
- Hex wrench 5 mm: press down and turn all the power adjusters from higher numbers to N. (from 7-6-5-4-…-0-N)
√ Find Hinge with bottom mechanical buffer (speed screw) or hold-open screw.
- Hex wrench 3 mm: slightly loosen the side set screws
- Hex wrench 5 mm: turn all the bottom speed screws or hold-open screw from – to + until the screw is exposed out of axis around 3 mm.
√ Find Hinge with hydraulic buffer (H mark on the adjuster)
- Hex wrench 3 mm: turn the Hydraulic section from – to + to the end.
- Hex wrench 3 mm: loosen the side set screw (pink sticker) a little bit
- Hex wrench 5 mm: turn the Hydraulic part from + to – to the end.
- Hex wrench 3 mm: tighten the side set screw (pink sticker) again
Results after reset – hinge adjustment or door installation problems?
After reset process, you should feel –
- The door moves freely without any interference: Push the door edge lightly from 90° to 0° and the door should swing freely.
- The door should not bounce back in the lower closing angle.
Spring hinge size matters if you expect a smooth and visually pleasing door closing. Typically, 4” and 4-1/2" hinge suit most doors with door thickness from 1-3/8" to 1-3/4". When you are dealing with a [...]
The seaside environment is a sublime killer for outdoor hardware. Being one of the most dreamt-after destinations for avid travelers, Phu Quoc Island has attracted millions of tourists with its stretching beaches, lush forests, [...]
Why are spring-loaded door hinges challenged by itself? Spring-loaded door hinges are significantly smaller than door closer/floor spring. Unfortunately, the smaller size means the downsized capacity. There is simply no ample space to squeeze [...]